Singdana ni Chiki – Peanut brittles
Need: 1. Medium frying pan 2. 1 cup shelled peanuts 3. 1/2 cup jaggery ( gaud)or little over 1/4 cup Sugar 4. 2 tbsp of water 5. 1-2 tsp of ghee for greasing.
1. Heat the pan on medium heat and add the peanuts
2. Roast the peanuts while stirring them on medium heat untill you see some black spots on the peanuts
3. Remove them in a separate plate to let them cool a bit.
4. Once they cool you can rub them to get rid of the husk if needed
5. If using the jaggery use the same pan and add 2 tbsp of water and the jaggery and keep stirring it low medium heat to make it into a syrup and same goes for the sugar.
6. Keep cooking this until it begins to harden, to make sure its cooked enough add a drop of this syrup in cup of cold water and if it hardens and turns into a ball its ready.
7. Grease a small plate or pan with the foil paper greased with ghee and have it accessible.
8. Add the crunched up peanuts or whole peanuts in this syrup and stir quickly and turn off the heat.
9. Add this mixture and spread it out on the greased pan evenly, use a rolling pin if necessary.
10. Let this mixture cool and break it into pieces and enjoy