Papadi no Lot
by Priyanka Patel
(Gluten Free and Vegan)
This is a great snack most Gujarati folks love. If there is a picnic, beach party or Garba(folk dance) event you are bound to find this easy and tasty Gluten Free and Vegan snack
- 1 Bowl Rice flour
2. 1 Bowls of Boiling water
3. 1 bowl room temp water
4. 1tsp Ajmo
5. 1tsp Jeeru/Cumin
6. 1.5 tsp salt
7. 1 tsp Baking Soda/ Kharo
8. 1tbsp of Olive oil
9. 2 tsp Sesame seeds
10. 1.5 tsp leelu marchoo/green serano or thai chili paste (depending on if you like it spicy, if you like mild then go with 1tsp serano chopped finely.
11. Medium stainless or glass Bowl
12. Steamer or a large pot with a small plate or daatharo to hold the plate on top to steam with.
13.Medium size stainless steel plate or Kathrot.
Method/How to Cook:
1. If you don’t have a steamer, use a medium to large around 12 oz. pot add enough water to cover bottom 1 inch and put a small plate face down on the bottom of the pot or use a Datharo.
2. Heat 1 bowl of water in a small pot with ajmo, Jeeru, salt and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl add flour and chili paste/leelu marchoo
4. Add the boiling water mix and mix it well by first adding boiling water then the bowl of room temp water
5. Blend well then add this mixture to the medium to large stainless steel plate or kathrot with a tbsp of oil on the bottom.
6. Put this plate in the large pot to steam on top of the small plate facing down. Make sure the water level is low and does not touch the top plate.
7. Cover the large pot with the lead and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
8. Turn the stove off and take the plate out.
9. Let it cool for 2-5 minutes and cut out small pieces like Dhokla or Khaman.
10. Use a spatula to lift this up and garnish with cilantro and Sesame seeds.