Matar Paneer: (Peas and Paneer curry)
by Dipti Patel
(Gluten Free and Vegan)
This is one of the easiest and tastiest Matar Paneer recipes in my opinion. Many of my Waldorf friends have enjoyed this when my children were part of the Waldorf School of San Diego for years.
This is traditionally not Vegan however the last few years I have made it Vegan and I will include that as well.
For 4 full servings:
1. One large onion diced (Dungadi/Kaando)
2. 6 Medium tomatoes diced (Tameta)
3. 1 tbsp Olive oil
4. 1 small Cinnamon stick (Tuj)
5. 3 cloves (Laving)
6. 6-7 whole black peppers (Mari)
7. 3 Star anis (Badiya)
8. 1 cup heavy whipping cream or Coconut cream for Vegan option
9. 1 cup frozen peas
10 . 1 cup diced paneer chunks (you can buy these ready made or you can buy a block of Paneer from a Indian store and dice it in small cubes then saute them gently until slightly brown with 2 tsp of olive oil and turn then let it cool while you prepare the gravy). or 1 cup diced extra firm Tofu chunks
11. 1 Tablespoon Patak hot curry paste (You can find this at Ralphs, Safeway, Vons or any Indian store)
12. Salt to taste (2tsp or more)
13. 1 tbsp chopped green Cilantro for garnish.
14. 8 oz. Stainless steel or nonstick pot
15. Blender. I use Vitamix but any blender works 16. Ladle and spatulas to mix.
Method/How to cook:
1. Take a 8 oz. round nonstick pot.
2. Add the oil, clove, cinnamon stick, black peppers, star anis and cook on medium to high heat till brown.
3. Throw in the diced onion and cook for 2-5 minutes till it becomes slightly brown
4. Add diced tomatoes to this mix and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
5. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool for 2-5 minutes.
6. Then add the mixture to the blender and blend it all finely.
7. Add the blended mixture back to the pot and add salt, Patak paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
8. Add the frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
9. Add the paneer cubes and the whipping cream and cook the pot on medium heat for 5-8 more minutes.
10. Taste and add more salt if needed.
11. Let it cool and garnish with Cilantro.
***This is normally accompanied with Jeera Rice-Cumin Rice(Check the recipe for this below) or Paratha(Flaky tortilla bread) or Naan***
Onion and Jalapeno salad to accompany Matar Paneer and other Punjabi dishes:
1. Medium onion sliced
2. 2 Jalapeno sliced long
3. 1tsp salt
4. 1tsp lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small glass bowl